- Photon #1 hits a molecule
- Photon #1 absorbed, electron at ground level gains energy and jumps to higher level
- Electron loses some of that energy
- Electron jumps back down to ground level and emits photon #2
- Photon #2 has less energy, corresponding to a different color (longer wavelength of light)
|Jablonski Diagram for Fluorescence|
2. The electron jumps to a higher energy level.
3. Soon, the electron drops back to the ground state, emitting a photon (or a packet of light) - the atom is fluorescing.